This eRumor says the news story was heard on
WTAE television in Pittsburgh, but it was not and we have not found any
substantiation of this story. Other than the reference to WTAE,
there are no facts that could be investigated such as names, location, or
While we have not found any documented evidence of cell phones exploding
while in use and connected to chargers, there are numerous stories
about either cell phone chargers or batteries causing fires.
In April, 2005, WNBC TV in
New York told of a fire in a home in the city of Wingdale that fire
officials say was the result of a cell phone charger that was plugged in
but not in use at the time. The fire destroyed the home.
In October, 2007, WALB-TV reported a fire in the Shackleford Shopping
Center in Albany, Georgia that is said to have started because of a cell
In 2004, Kyocera issued a recall of about one million cell phone
batteries. The company said that some of the batteries turned out to
be counterfeit and there are 14 reports of failures, some involving smoke,
property damage, and injuries.
In February, 2007, fire officials in Pembroke Pines, Florida, said they
put out a blaze in a woman's bedroom that had been started by the battery
of a cell phone exploding while it was in its charger.
In January, 2007, Vallejo Valley firefighters in California told of an
incident in which a man's cell phone caught fire while he was using it,
which caught his clothing on fire. They did not say whether it was
plugged into a charger at the time.
In July of 2006, the Chicago Tribune reported a story about a man named
Pablo Ortega whose cell phone blew up and caused $100,000 damage to his
home in Selma, California.. The story said that it was his
lithium-ion battery that failed then ignited. The phone had been
charging while the family was away from home.
In 2006, the Consumer Product Safety
commission said it did not know of any fatalities because of cell phone
fires or explosions.
This seems important enough to forward to others
It's wise to be safe and safe being wise.
This was also on Pittsburgh 's WTAE channel 4 News.
Never, ever answer a cell phone while it is being CHARGED!!
A few days ago, a person was recharging his cell phone
at home. Just
at that time a call came and he answered it with the instrument still
connected to the outlet. After a few seconds electricity flowed into
the cell phone unrestrained and the young man was thrown to the ground
with a heavy thud. His parents rushed to the room only to find him
unconscious, with a weak heartbeat and burnt fingers.
He was rushed to the nearby hospital, but was pronounced
arrival. Cell phones are a very useful modern invention. However, we
must be aware that it can also be an instrument of death
NEVER use the cell phone while it is hooked to the
FORWARD THIS TO THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER IN YOUR LIFE,
I JUST DID!!!