Note: The Ads that appear
on this page are under the
control of Google Ads,
not TruthOrFiction.com,
which is a non-partisan site.
Chinese Submarine Launched Missile Off California Coast-Unproven!
Summary of the eRumor: This is a forwarded email
about a mysterious contrail that appeared in the skies over the Southern
California on November 8, 2010. The email alleges that the large
smoke plume came from a ballistic missile that was launched from a
Chinese Navy Jin class nuclear submarine from an area just north of
Catalina Island about 35 miles from the shores of Los Angeles, CA.
The Truth: There
was a mysterious plume that appeared in the early evening skies over
Southern California near Los Angeles on November 8, 2010. The news
drew
national attention when experts speculated the contrail could have been
caused by an airplane or a ballistic missile. CBS News
reported two days later that military and civilian experts had
determined this to be from the contrail of a jet
aircraft cruising over the area at high altitude.
Click for CBS Story.
Rumors began circulating on the Internet
during the weekend of November 13th. alleging that the mysterious
contrail was from a missile launched from a Chinese Jin class nuclear
submarine that had snuck into our coastal waters and that the news media along
with the Pentagon were covering up the
story. These forwarded emails contained text from an article by
Washington D.C. based investigative journalist Wayne Madsen along with photos that
appeared on a page from the
Infowars.com web site of nationally syndicated radio host Alex Jones
based out of Austin, TX. The article said the "Chinese
decided to demonstrate to the United States its capabilities on the eve
of the G-20 Summit in Seoul and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation
summit in Tokyo, where President Obama is scheduled to attend during his
ten-day trip to Asia." TruthOrFiction.com has not found any
evidence to support their claims.
The plume, captured
on video by CBS news helicopter cameraman Gil Leyvas was televised on
November 8th and sparked a national fury of inquires after a slow
response from the Pentagon that needed time to examine the footage and
other materials. That evening a spokesperson from the United States Navy told reporters "that there was no Navy activity in that
region." Meanwhile reporters sought the advice of the other
experts. One such expert was former Deputy Secretary of Defense
Robert Ellsworth who speculated that the video could have been a test firing of a
U.S. intercontinental ballistic
missile from a submarine as a show of strength to Asia from
President Obama.
Click for story and video.
A little over
twenty-fours hours after the incident, a
November 10th. CBS News article said that the Pentagon had yet
to identify the object in the sky but confirmed that no U.S. Missiles
had been launched that Monday. The article also said that the
North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), the organization that monitors this sort of
activity in the skies, had been contacted by CBS and confirmed that no
missile launches had taken place globally.
Popular Science
Channel host Dr.Michio Kaku said that at first he
thought the images were those of a missile but after he had time to reexamine the video he
said that he was not thoroughly convinced but he was
leaning toward the belief that this was a jet aircraft cruising over
Southern California. Dr. Kaku is also a professor of physics at City
University in New York. Kaku was interviewed by ABC
News on November 10th. offering his reasons why he did not think that this
was a launched missile. He said that launched missiles
increase their speed, travel East to West and do not alter course.
He told reporters that the object in the sky had not changed its speed
but was altering course and was travelling in the wrong direction.
He also said that the contrails expansion at the bottom of the frame had
given it an optical illusion of a water launch and since missiles go up
into the higher atmosphere other nations would have reported a sighting
on their radar.
Video from Dr. Michio KaKu's YouTube
page explaining the contrail
updated 11/15/10
A real example of the eRumor as it has
appeared on the Internet:
Subject: Pentagon and its embedded
media covering up Chinese show of force off LA
November 10, 2010 -- Pentagon and its
embedded media covering up Chinese show of force off LA China flexed its
military muscle Monday evening in the skies west of Los Angeles when a
Chinese Navy Jin class ballistic missile nuclear submarine, deployed
secretly from its underground home base on the south coast of Hainan
island, launched an intercontinental ballistic missile from
international waters off the southern California coast. WMR's
intelligence sources in Asia, including Japan, say the belief by the
military commands in Asia and the intelligence services is that the
Chinese decided to demonstrate to the United States its capabilities on
the eve of the G-20 Summit in Seoul and the Asia-Pacific Economic
Cooperation summit in Tokyo, where President Obama is scheduled to
attend during his ten-day trip to Asia.
The reported Chinese missile test off Los Angeles came as a double blow
to Obama. The day after the missile firing, China's leading credit
rating agency, Dagong Global Credit Rating, downgraded sovereign debt
rating of the United States to A-plus from AA. The missile demonstration
coupled with the downgrading of the United States financial grade
represents a military and financial show of force by Beijing to
Washington.
The Pentagon spin machine, backed by the media reporters who regularly
cover the Defense Department, as well as officials of the Federal
Aviation Administration (FAA), North American Aerospace Defense Command
(NORAD), and the U.S. Northern Command, is now spinning various
conspiracy theories, including describing the missile plume videotaped
by KCBS news helicopter cameraman Gil Leyvas at around 5:00 pm Pacific
Standard Time, during the height of evening rush hour, as the
condensation trail from a jet aircraft. Other Pentagon-inspired cover
stories are that the missile was actually an amateur rocket or an
optical illusion.
Experts agree that this was a
ballistic missile being fired off of Los Angeles. Pentagon insists it
was a jet aircraft or model rocket.
There are no records of a plane in the area having taken off from Los
Angeles International Airport or from other airports in the region. The
Navy and Air Force have said that they were not conducting any missile
tests from submarines, ships, or Vandenberg Air Force Base. The Navy has
also ruled out an accidental firing from one of its own submarines.
Missile experts, including those from Jane's in London, say the plume
was definitely from a missile, possibly launched from a submarine. WMR
has learned that the missile was likely a JL-2 ICBM, which has a range
of 7,000 miles, and was fired in a northwesterly direction over the
Pacific and away from U.S. territory from a Jin class submarine. The Jin
class can carry up to twelve such missiles.
Navy sources have revealed that the missile may have impacted on Chinese
territory and that the National Security Agency (NSA) likely posseses
intercepts of Chinese telemtry signals during the missile firing and
subsequent testing operations.
Japanese and other Asian intelligence
agencies believe that a Chinese Jin-class SSBN submarine conducted
missile "show of force" in skies west of Los Angeles.
Asian intelligence sources believe the submarine transited from its base
on Hainan through South Pacific waters, where U.S. anti-submarine
warfare detection capabilities are not as effective as they are in the
northern and mid-Pacific, and then transited north to waters off of Los
Angeles. The Pentagon, which has spent billions on ballistic missile
defense systems, a pet project of former Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld, is clearly embarrassed over the Chinese show of strength.
Likely route of Jin-class submarine
from Hainan base.
The White House also wants to donwplay the missile story before
Presidnet Obama meets with his Chinese counterpart in Seoul and Tokyo.
According to Japanese intelligence sources, Beijing has been angry over
United States and allied naval exercises in the South China and Yellow
Seas, in what China considers its sphere of influence, and the missile
firing within the view of people in Southern California was a
demonstration that China's navy can also play in waters off the American
coast.
For the U.S. Navy, the Chinese show of force is a huge embarassment,
especially for the Navy's Pacific Command in Pearl Harbor, where Japan's
December 7, 1941 attack on the fleet at Pearl Harbor remains a sore
subject.
In 2002, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice reportedly scolded
visiting Chinese General Xiong Guankai, the deputy chief of staff for
intelligence of the People's Liberation Army, for remarks he allegedly
made in 1995 that China would use nuclear weapons on Los Angeles. Xiong
denied he made any such comments but the "spin" on the story helped
convince Congress to sink billions of additional dollars into ballistic
missile defense, sometimes referred to at "Star Wars II."
Don't
miss out on our alerts!
Take adavantage of our 2 For 1 Special!
SUBSCRIBE to Our Email Alerts, Advisories, and Virus
Warnings! CLICK HERE
for details