Note: The Ads that appear
on this page are under the
control of Google Ads,
not TruthOrFiction.com,
which is a non-partisan site.
Murders and Rapes
and Killings among Hurricane Survivors in the Superdome and In Baton
Rouge-Unproven!
Summary of the eRumor One of the more alarming
stories to come out of New Orleans during the aftermath of Hurricane
Katrina was reports of rapes in the Superdome and two children whose
throats were cut, a 7-year old who was raped and killed, and
widespread reports in Baton Rouge of carjackings and other mayhem.
The Truth
If you ever find yourself in the
midst of a natural disaster or other crisis that affects a large
number of people, brace yourself for rumors.
Whether they start because of sincere misinformation or because of
intentional misinformation, they can spread like wildfire,
especially during a time when other types of communication are not
working.
These stories about the hurricane survivors were reported through
several media including being repeated by survivors interviewed on
television.
Most of them believed the stories and repeated them as truth.
The story about rapes, killings, and the slitting of two children's
throats was also reported in an article in the Guardian of London on
September 5.
They quoted witnesses as saying, "During this time, they said,
girls and boys were raped in the dark and had their throats cut and
bodies were stuffed in the kitchens while looters and madmen
exchanged fire with weapons they had looted."
TruthOrFiction.com has checked with New Orleans police.
They say they've not been able to confirm the story of the babies
with the throats cut or even any rapes from among those who took
refuge in the Superdome.
If those events did happen, nobody has come forward to report them
or substantiate them.
One rumor that spread through the refugees was that a
7-year-old-girl had been raped and killed, but there has not been
any evidence found so far of that murder.
The London Guardian ran a story on September 6 saying that they,
too, have not been able to confirm any of the rape and killing
stories or the stories of bodies stacked in the kitchen at the
Superdome.
The Guardian said it had not been able to find any substantiation of
any dead bodies at the Superdome at all, much less the bodies of
children.
In Baton Rouge, the Mayor-President Kip Holden declared a curfew
because of fears and reports of violence, but police there now say
there was no violence except in rumors.
Don't
miss out on our alerts!
Take adavantage of our 2 For 1 Special!
SUBSCRIBE to Our Email Alerts, Advisories, and Virus
Warnings! CLICK HERE
for details