Note: The Ads that appear
on this page are under the
control of Google Ads,
which is a non-partisan site.
Pets Dying From
Their Owners' Use of the Swiffer WetJet Product-Fiction!
Summary of the eRumor The email says a pet dog
had to be put down because of liver failure.
The owner was mystified until spotting a warning on the label of a
Swiffer Wetjet floor cleaning product that seemed to indicate danger
to children and pets.
He is described as having called the manufacturer and was told that
the cleaning ingredient in the Wetjet is only one molecule away from
antifreeze, which can be toxic.
First, there is no substantiation of
this eRumor and, like many rumors, it is written in a way that there
is no way to check it out.
There are no names, places, dates, or any professional offices or
government agencies where the incident could be confirmed.
The Swiffer Wetjet is a mop-looking gizmo from Procter and Gamble
that comes with special disposable absorbent pads and a spray bottle
filled with cleaning solution.
According to an FAQ on their website, the makers of the Swiffer
Wetjet say the product is safe for pets and does not leave residue
on the floor.
They also say that the product does not contain antifreeze or any
ingredient similar to it.
Last updated 5/5/04
A real example of the eRumor as it has
appeared on the Internet:
I have not confirmed the below yet, but received it from another
so buyer beware. As I get more info on it I will pass it along.
Jeanette, have you heard anything about this?
Warning for your animal's health:
I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German
Shepherd Dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely
until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the
The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested
some kind.The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's
so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to
My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When
the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning
be harmful to small children and animals." He called the
company to ask
the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find
that anitfreeze is one of the ingredients. (actually he was told
is one molecule away from anitfreeze). Therefore, just by the dog
on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking it's own
dog eating from its dishes which were kept on the kitchen floor
this product, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its
Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died
failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on
Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a
asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so
2 For 1
Special! SUBSCRIBE to
Our Email Alerts, Advisories, and Virus Warnings!CLICK HERE