Traditionally, April Fools’ Day is a major “internet holiday” — but in recent years, roundups have largely consisted of a series of commercials designed to go viral on social media.
Here is a list of April Fools’ Day 2019 pranks we’re updating throughout the day:
- Google Maps‘ Snake: “Google Maps shows you how to get around on foot, car, train and bicycle, and now, you can ssslither to your destination too. Starting today, you can play a twist on the snake game in different locations across the world—including Cairo, London, San Francisco, São Paulo, Sydney and Tokyo–right from Google Maps.”
- Language learning app Duolingo’s Push: “We’re taking push notifications out of your phone and into the real world! Duo the Owl will literally show up to remind you to practice. It’s the green-glove treatment you’ve always wanted.”
- TikTok: DJ Khaled is TikTok’s new Chief Motivational Officer.
- Halo Top Face Masks: Clickthrough on any of the tubes of “mask” leads to an April Fools’ graphic.
- Shutterstock: IRL library.
- Timex: A “25th hour” watch.
- FarmRich: Gender reveal mozzarella sticks.
- Nissan Cup Noodles: Ramen headphones.
- PopChips: “Just the chip” … “now you can practice safe snacking on-the-go, anywhere, anyplace, anytime, any position.”
- George Takei: Joking about the Mueller report.
- Litter Robot: “Cat Sheet enhances the natural insulating properties of paper to provide a consistent, on-demand heating source for your cat.”
- McDonald’s “Shake Sauce”:
— McDonald's (@McDonalds) April 1, 2019
- Roku “Press Paws” remote for dogs:
We recently surveyed our customers and identified a major pet peeve. 🐶
— Roku (@Roku) April 1, 2019
- Honda Pastport: “’90s inspired trim for the 2019 [Honda] Passport”:
- DD Audio: “The World’s First Ever Jerky Speaker!”
- Purple: 99 cent mattress.
- Petco: “Learn more about our new pet wedding services coming soon[.]”
- Dippin’ Dots: “Smell the fun with NEW Dippin’ Dots Deodorant!”
- HelloFresh: The “Unicorn Box.”
- Red Lobster: “Starting Summer 2019, red licorice straws will be our 1st test for an eco-friendly alternative for plastic straws!”
- Auntie Anne’s: “Let’s get twisted! Hot Yoga Studios are now part of Auntie Anne’s 1,800+ locations worldwide”:
- REI: “Glamping for cats” and other pet adventures.
- Australia (the country): Leopard-print koalas.
- Google Tulip: “Decoding the language of flowers has been a decades-long challenge. But that changes today. Thanks to great advancements in artificial intelligence, Google Assistant on phones and Google Home is now able to understand tulips, allowing translation between Tulipish and dozens of human languages.”
- Tinder: Height Verification Badge (HVB).
- BBC: “Skip the sex” button.
For those mortifying moments when a surprise 🍆 or 🍑 makes you 😳… pic.twitter.com/eM9rQ6LNFi
— BBC iPlayer (@BBCiPlayer) April 1, 2019
- White Castle:
In 1921, we carbon froze our very first Original Slider. 98 years later, we’re auctioning it off to you Cravers. Tune in to our livestream auction now! https://t.co/QDTuP7j1or pic.twitter.com/LKjwguEnwG
— White Castle (@WhiteCastle) April 1, 2019
- Walt Disney World: #Snears (snacks in Mickey “ears”).
- Bobo’s: Genetically matched DNA food kits.
- Durex: Mala Hot Pot flavored condoms.
- Three Olives Vodka: “Goodbye Roosevelt Island, Hello Rosévelt Island!”
- Webjet: Brexit flash sale, $1.
- Wayfair: “Welcome to Groom’d, A Wedding Registry for Dogs.”
- Kimpton Hotels: “Move over avocado toast! Make way for 312 Chicago‘s coffee grounds on toast.”
- Sandals: A three-tier glass bottom pool.
- Peet’s Coffee: A “special new cold brew inspired by our founder’s Dutch heritage—that means a sprinkle of salty licorice and a topper of Boerenkaas cheese!”
- Alamo Drafthouse: “Alamo Drafthouse launches VerticalVision™ next-gen theater experience.”
- GoodPop: Water-flavored popsicles.
- Build-a-Bear: “Build-A-Bae” dating app.
- Tieks by Gavrieli: Dragon leather ballet flats.
— Tieks (@tieks) April 1, 2019
Introducing Avocado Toast Slurpee! That's right, folks! You asked for it, we've delivered! Sound off below if you can't wait to try it! 🥑🍞 pic.twitter.com/ajGFKvFPSF
— 7-Eleven (@7eleven) April 1, 2019
— LEGO (@LEGO_Group) April 1, 2019