Kyle, the 14-year-old who died inhaling Dust-Off-Truth!
Kyle, the 14-year-old Who Died From Inhaling Dust-Off–Truth!
Summary of eRumor:
The email is a long letter from a grieving father warning others about the potentially lethal effects of inhaling the compressed air product “Dust-Off.”
It describes the death of his 14-year-old son.
The “Jeff” of this email is Jeff Williams of Painesville Township, Ohio.
His son Kyle died on 3/2/05 after learning from friends about the brief high that can be experienced from inhaling the compressed air that spews from a can of Dust-Off, which is frequently sold at computer stores and used for cleaning hard-to-reach places in or on computers.
Williams first posted his note on a website then gave an interview to the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper.
Dust-Off is from Falcon Safety Products, which has posted a warning about misuse of Dust-Off.
Click Here for that page.
Dust-Off is just one of numerous products that is used by those who are involved in what is called “inhalant abuse.”
The National Institutes of Health has an extensive listing about it.
Click Here for that report.
Last updated 6/6/05
A real example of the eRumor as it has appeared on the Internet:
Dust Off- A Serious Fatal Hazard
First I’m going to tell you a little about me and my family. My name
is Jeff I am a Police Officer for a city which is known nationwide
crime rate. We have a lot of gangs and drugs. At one point we were #
the nation in homicides per capita. I also have a police K-9 named
He was certified in drugs and general duty. He retired at 3 years
because he was shot in the line of duty. He lives with us now and
I still train
with him because he likes it. I always liked the fact that there
way to bring drugs into my house. Thor wouldn’t allow it. He would
you. The reason I say this is so you understand that I know about
have taught in schools about drugs. My wife asks all our kids at
once a week if they used any drugs. Makes them promise they won’t.
I like building computers occasionally and started building a new
in February 2005. I also was working on some of my older computers.
were full of dust so on one of my trips to the computer store I
bought a 3
pack of DUST OFF. Dust Off is a can of compressed air to blow dust
computer A few weeks later when I went to use them they were all
talked to my kids and my 2 sons both said they had used them on
and messing around with them. I yelled at them for wasting the 10
I paid for them. On February 28 I went back to the computer store.
didn’t have the 3 pack which I had bought on sale so I bought a
single jumbo can
of Dust Off. I went home and set it down beside my computer.
On March 1st I left for work at 10 PM. At 11 PM my wife went down
kissed Kyle goodnight. At 530 AM the next morning Kathy went
wake Kyle up for school, before she left for work. He was sitting
bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over. She called to
him a few
times to get up. He didn’t move. He would sometimes tease her like
pretend he fell back asleep. He was never easy to get up. She went
shook his arm. He fell over. He was pale white and had the straw
from the Dust
Off can coming out of his mouth. He had the new can of Dust Off in
Kyle was dead.
I am a police officer and I had never heard of this. My wife is a
nurse and she had never heard of this. We later found out from the
after the autopsy, that only the propellant from the can of Dust
off was in his
system No other drugs. Kyle had died between midnight and 1 Am.
I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9
through 15. They even have a name for it. It’s called dusting. A
from the Dust Off name. It gives them a slight high for about 10
makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed
to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best friend. Told
was cool and it couldn’t hurt you. It’s just compressed air. It
you. His best friend said no.
Kyle was wrong. It’s not just compresses air. It also contains a
I think its R2. It’s a refrigerant like what is used in your
It is a heavy gas.-Heavier than air. When you inhale it, it fills
your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out. That’s why you
It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. Kyle was
It can ‘t hurt you. IT KILLS YOU. The horrible part about this is
there is no
warning. There is no level that kills you. It’s not cumulative or an
overdose; it can just go randomly, terribly wrong. Roll the dice and
if your number comes up you die. IT’S NOT AN OVERDOSE. It’s Russian
You don’t die later. Or not feel good and say I’ve had too much.
usually die as your breathing it in. If not you die within 2
seconds of finishing
“the hit.” That’s why the straw was still in Kyle’s mouth when he
Why his eyes were still open.
The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don’t believe its
As adults we tend to lump many things together. But it doesn’t fit
here. And that’s why it’s more accepted. There is no chemical
strong odor It doesn’t follow the huffing signals. Kyle complained
a few days
before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The
frostbite . If I had only known.
It’s easy to say hay, it’s my life and I’ll do what I want. But it
isn’t. Others are always affected. This has forever changed our
life. I have a hole in my heart and soul that can never be fixed.
The pain is
so immense I can’t describe it. There’s nowhere to run from it. I
all the time and I don’t ever cry. I do what I’m supposed to do but
really care. My kids are messed up. One won’t talk about it. The
only sleep in our room at night. And my wife, I can’t even describe
bad she is taking this. I thought we were safe because of Thor. I
were safe because we knew about drugs and talked to our kids about
After Kyle died another story came out. A Probation Officer went to
the school system next to ours to speak with a student. While there
found a student using Dust Off in the bathroom. This student told
another student who also had some in his locker. This is a rather
school system. They will tell you they don’t have a drug problem
don’t even have a dare or plus program there. So rather than tell
about this “new” way of getting high they found, they hid it. The
officer told the media after Kyle’s death and they, the school, then
admitted to it. I know that if they would have told the media and I
had heard, it wouldn’t have been in my house.
We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs.
Using Dust Off isn’t new and some “professionals” do know about. It
just isn ‘t talked about much, except by the kids. They know about
April 2nd was 1 month since Kyle died. April 5th would have been his
15th birthday. And every weekday I catch myself
sitting on the
couch at 2:30 in the afternoon and waiting to see him get off the
know Kyle is in heaven but I can’t help but wonder If I died and
went to Hell.