Japan's Treatment of Muslims-Fiction!
Japan’s Treatment of Muslims–Fiction!
Summary of eRumor:
An email alleges that tight restrictions are in place to prevent the spread of Islam in Japan because Muslims are viewed as “fundamentalists” who are not willing to deviate from Muslim laws.
This eRumor contains false claims and generalizations about Japan’s treatment of Muslims.
The Japanese government regularly welcomes political leaders from Islamic and Arabic states. In July 2014, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe welcomed the Islamic Diplomatic Corps to Japan, an official government press release reports.
“I have found that a fundamental aspect of the spirit of Islam is harmony with and love for others,” Prime Minister Abe said. “I believe therein lie points of commonality with the Japanese spirit, which is founded on co-existence….”
Islamic and Arabic studies are also not restricted in Japan, as the eRumor suggests. It’s true that the International University of Japan in Tokyo does not offer courses on Arabic or Islamic languages — however, the only language courses the university offers are English and Japanese, according to the university’s website.
Still, the Arabic Islamic Institute in Tokyo features an extensive offering of such courses, and it regularly features political and academic leaders from various Islamic and Arabic states, according to the school’s website.
The eRumor’s claim that Muslims cannot become Japanese citizens is also false, according to a Japanese blog that specializes in immigration issues called “Becoming Legally Japanese.”
“Because there is no place on the written online application for one’s religion, the Ministry of Justice can’t publish statistics showing the religions (or races) of naturalization candidates; they can only publish sex and former nationality statistics,” the blog reports. “However, looking at the nationality statistics, we can find hundreds of examples of people from Islamic states (ex. Indonesia, Iran and Pakistan) as well as people from nation-states where the official state religion is Islam (ex. Egypt) and greater than 90 percent of the population is Muslim. Doing a quick web search, I can find Japanese immigration lawyers who specialize in people from Indonesia and brag of a 100 percent success rate.”
Japan requires special visas for visitors, workers and students who are not from one of 66 countries that Japan has a “general visa exemption arrangement” with, according to an official website. But there are no official travel restrictions on Muslims, or practitioners of any other faith.
It’s also untrue that Japan does not allow Arabic or Islamic schools in the country. The International Islamia School Otsuka in Tokyo is just one example.
Additionally, the Japanese government funded construction of a number of madrasas that were completed in Afghanistan in December 2012, Pajhwok Afghan News reports.
There are also no restrictions on Japanese women marrying Muslim men, according to the Islamic Center of Japan’s website.
The eRumor’s allegation that a Japanese woman would be “considered an outcast forever” by her family for marrying a Muslim man — like many other allegations in the eRumor — is a generalization that is impossible to prove or disprove.
A real example of the eRumor as it has appeared on the Internet:
Japan on Islam:
Have you ever read in the newspaper that a political leader or a Prime minister from an Islamic nation has visited Japan ?
Have you ever come across news that the Ayatollah of Iran or the King of Saudi Arabia or even a Saudi Prince has visited Japan ?
Japan is a country keeping Islam at bay. Japan has put strict restrictions on Islam and ALL Muslims.
The reasons are :
1) Japan is the only nation that does not give citizenship to Muslims.
2) In Japan permanent residency is not given to Muslims.
3) There is a strong ban on the propagation of Islam in Japan .
4) In the University of Japan, Arabic or any Islamic language is not taught.
5) One cannot import a ‘Koran’ published in the Arabic language.
6) According to data published by the Japanese government, it has given temporary residency to only 2 lakhs, Muslims, who must follow the Japanese Law of the Land. These Muslims should speak Japanese and carry out their religious rituals in their homes.
7) Japan is the only country in the world that has a negligible number of embassies in Islamic countries.
8) Japanese people are not attracted to Islam at all.
9) Muslims residing in Japan are the employees of foreign companies.
10) Even today, visas are not granted to Muslim doctors, engineers or managers sent by foreign companies.
11) In the majority of companies it is stated in their regulations that no Muslims should apply for a job.
12) The Japanese government is of the opinion that Muslims are Fundamentalist and even in the era of globalization they are not willing to change their Muslim laws.
13) Muslims cannot even think about renting a house in Japan .
14) If anyone comes to know that his neighbour is a Muslim, then the whole neighbourhood stays alert.
15) No one can start an Islamic cell or Arabic ‘Madrasa’ in Japan .
16) There is no Sharia law in Japan .
17) If a Japanese woman marries a Muslim then she is considered an outcast forever.
18) According to Mr. Kumiko Yagi, Professor of Arab/Islamic Studies at Tokyo University of Foreign Studies ,
“There is a mind frame in Japan that Islam is a very narrow minded religion and one should stay away from it.”