Herman Rosenblat and “The Girl with the Apple”-Fiction!

Summary of eRumor:

The remarkable and touching story of a Jewish boy who survived the Holocaust and the girl who gave him apples over the fence of the death camp where he was imprisoned.  Later as adults in the United States they found each other and married.  (Complete story is below)

The Truth:

The story of Herman and Roma Rosenblat was thought to be true but according to a December 28, 2008 Associated Press (AP) article, Rosenblat recently “acknowledged that he and his wife did not meet, as they had said for years, at a sub-camp of Buchenwald, where she allegedly sneaked him apples and bread”.   

A book titled Angel at the Fence” was written by Rosenblat based on his “story of love born on opposite sides of a barbed-wire fence at a concentration camp.”  According the AP story the publisher cancelled his memoir that was due for release in February 2009.   Click for AP Story

According to the news report, “Rosenblat, 79, has been married to the former Roma Radzicky for 50 years, since meeting her on a blind date in New York. In a statement issued Saturday through his agent, he described himself as an advocate of love and tolerance who falsified his past to better spread his message.”

According to the article, Rosenblat said that he “wanted to bring happiness to people,” and that he wanted to bring “hope to a lot of people.”  He went on to say that his “motivation was to make good in this world.”

Prior to this new report,  a company named Atlantic Overseas Pictures was producing a film about them.  It is not known if this motion picture will still be in production.  

Pictures of Herman and Roma are posted on the site.

Updated 12/28/08

A real example of the eRumor as it has appeared on the Internet:

A Girl with an Apple

August 1942. Piotrkow, Poland. The sky was gloomy that morning as we
waited anxiously. All the men, women and children of Piotrkow’s Jewish
ghetto had been herded into a square. Word had gotten around that we were
being moved. My father had only recently died from typhus, which had run
rampant through the crowded ghetto. My greatest fear was that our family
would be separated.

‘Whatever you do,’ Isidore, my eldest brother, whispered to me, ‘don’t
tell them your age. Say you’re sixteen.’ I was tall for a boy of 11, so I
could pull it off. That way I might be deemed valuable as a worker. An SS
man approached me, boots clicking against the cobblestones. He looked me up
and down, then asked my age. ‘Sixteen,’ I said. He directed me to the left,
where my three brothers and other healthy young men already stood.

My mother was motioned to the right with the other women, children,
sick and elderly people. I whispered to Isidore, ‘Why?’ He didn’t answer. I
ran to Mama’s side and said I wanted to stay with her. ‘No,’ she said
sternly. ‘Get away. Don’t be a nuisance. Go with your brothers.’ She had
never spoken so harshly before. But I understood: She was protecting
me. She loved me so much that, just this once, she pretended not to. It was the
last I ever saw of her.

My brothers and I were transported in a cattle car to Germany. We
arrived at the Buchenwald concentration camp one night weeks later and were
led into a crowded barrack. The next day, we were issued uniforms and
identification numbers.

‘Don’t call me Herman anymore.’ I said to my brothers. ‘Call me

I was put to work in the camp’s crematorium, loading the dead into a
hand-cranked elevator. I, too, felt dead. Hardened, I had become a number.
Soon, my brothers and I were sent to Schlieben, one of Buchenwald’s
sub-camps near Berlin.

One morning I thought I heard my mother’s voice, ‘Son,’ she said
softly but clearly, I am going to send you an angel.’ Then I woke up.
Just a dream. A beautiful dream. But in this place there could be no angels. There
was only work. And hunger. And fear.

A couple of days later, I was walking around the camp, around the
barracks, near the barbed-wire fence where the guards could not easily see.
I was alone. On the other side of the fence, I spotted someone: a little
girl with light, almost luminous curls. She was half-hidden behind a birch tree.
I glanced around to make sure no one saw me. I called to her softly in

‘Do you have something to eat?’ She didn’t understand. I inched closer
to the fence and repeated question in Polish. She stepped forward. I was
thin and gaunt, with rags wrapped around my feet, but the girl looked
unafraid. In her eyes, I saw life. She pulled an apple from her woolen
jacket and threw it over the fence. I grabbed the fruit and, as I
started to run away, I heard her say faintly, ‘I’ll see you tomorrow.’

I returned to the same spot by the fence at the same time every day.
She was always there with something for me to eat – a hunk of bread or,
better yet, an apple. We didn’t dare speak or linger. To be caught would
mean death for us both. I didn’t know anything about her, just a kind farm
girl, except that she understood Polish. What was her name? Why was she
risking her life for me? Hope was in such short supply, and this girl
on the other side of the fence gave me some, as nourishing in its way as the bread
and apples.

Nearly seven months later, my brothers and I were crammed into a coal
car and shipped to Theresienstadt camp in Czechoslovakia. ‘Don’t return,’ I
told the girl that day. ‘We’re leaving.’ I turned toward the barracks and
didn’t look back, didn’t even say good-bye to the little girl whose
name I’d never learned, the girl with the apples.

We were in Theresienstadt for three months. The war was winding down
and Allied forces were closing in, yet my fate seemed sealed. On May 10,
1945, I was scheduled to die in the gas chamber at 10:00 AM. In the quiet of
dawn, I tried to prepare myself. So many times death seemed ready to claim
me, but somehow I’d survived. Now, it was over. I thought of my parents. At
least, I thought, we will be reunited.

But at 8 A.M. there was a commotion. I heard shouts, and saw people
running every which way through camp. I caught up with my brothers. Russian
troops had liberated the camp! The gates swung open. Everyone was running,
so I did too.

Amazingly, all of my brothers had survived; I’m not sure how. But I
knew that the girl with the apples had been the key to my survival. In a
place where evil seemed triumphant, one person’s goodness had saved my
life, had given me hope in a place where there was none. My mother had
promised to send me an angel, and the angel had come.

Eventually I made my way to England where I was sponsored by a Jewish
charity, put up in a hostel with other boys who had survived the Holocaust
and trained in electronics. Then I came to America, where my brother
Sam had already moved. I served in the U. S. Army during the Korean War, and
returned to New York City after two years. By August 1957 I’d opened my own
electronics repair shop. I was starting to settle in.

One day, my friend Sid who I knew from England called me. ‘I’ve got a
date. She’s got a Polish friend. Let’s double date.’

A blind date? Nah, that wasn’t for me. But Sid kept pestering me, and
a few days later we headed up to the Bronx to pick up his date and her
friend Roma. I had to admit, for a blind date this wasn’t so bad. Roma was a
nurse at a Bronx hospital. She was kind and smart. Beautiful, too, with
swirling brown curls and green, almond-shaped eyes that sparkled with life.

The four of us drove out to Coney Island. Roma was easy to talk to,
easy to be with. Turned out she was wary of blind dates too! We were both
just doing our friends a favor. We took a stroll on the boardwalk, enjoying
the salty Atlantic breeze, and then had dinner by the shore. I couldn’t
remember having a better time.

We piled back into Sid’s car, Roma and I sharing the backseat. As
European Jews who had survived the war, we were aware that much had been
left unsaid between us. She broached the subject, ‘Where were you,’ she
asked softly, ‘during the war?’

‘The camps,’ I said, the terrible memories still vivid, the
irreparable loss. I had tried to forget. But you can never forget.

She nodded. ‘My family was hiding on a farm in Germany, not far from
Berlin,’ she told me. ‘My father knew a priest, and he got us Aryan papers.’
I imagined how she must have suffered too, fear, a constant companion. And
yet here we were, both survivors, in a new world.

‘There was a camp next to the farm.’ Roma continued. ‘I saw a boy
there and I would throw him apples every day.’

What an amazing coincidence that she had helped some other boy. ‘What
did he look like? I asked. He was tall, skinny, and hungry. I must have seen
him every day for six months.’

My heart was racing. I couldn’t believe it. This couldn’t be. ‘Did he
tell you one day not to come back because he was leaving Schlieben?’

Roma looked at me in amazement. ‘Yes,’ That was me! ‘ I was ready to
burst with joy and awe, flooded with emotions. I couldn’t believe it! My

‘I’m not letting you go.’ I said to Roma. And in the back of the car
on that blind date, I proposed to her. I didn’t want to wait.

‘You’re crazy!’ she said. But she invited me to meet her parents for
Shabbat dinner the following week. There was so much I looked forward to
learning about Roma, but the most important things I always knew: her
steadfastness, her goodness. For many months, in the worst of circumstances,
she had come to the fence and given me hope. Now that I’d found her
again, I could never let her go.

That day, she said yes. And I kept my word. After nearly 50 years of
marriage, two children and three grandchildren I have never let her go.

Herman Rosenblat, Miami Beach, Florida

This is a true story and you can find out more by Googling Herman
Rosenblat as he was Bar Mitzvahed at age 75. This story is being made
into a movie called The Fence.

This e-mail is intended to reach 40 million people world-wide!

Join us and be a link in the memorial chain and help us distribute it around the world.

Please send this e-mail to 10 people you know and ask them to continue the memorial chain.

Please don’t just delete it. It will only take you a minute to pass this along – Thanks